Did you know?
1. South Africa has 11 official languages. English is understood and spoken by most of the people in the country.
2. South Africa’s drinking water is rated the third safest in the world.
3. South Africa is the only country in the entire world that has voluntarily abandoned its nuclear weapons program.
4. There are more than 2,000 shipwrecks off the South African coast, most dating back at least 500 years.
5. Table Mountain in Cape Town is believed to be one of the oldest mountains in the world and one of the planet’s 12 main energy centers, radiating magnetic, electric or spiritual energy.
6. The Cradle of Humankind, a Unesco World Heritage site in South Africa holds the deeply buried secrets of the origins of our species, a 2.3-million-year-old fossil Australopithecus Africanus, nicknamed, “Mrs. Ples.”
7. The US dollar goes a very long way, with the exchange rate currently (Sept. 2019) at 1 USD to 14 ZAR (South African Rand). A glass of fine wine will cost you $1.70 – $2.00.
8. South Africa has the longest contiguous wine route in the world.
9. While allergy-triggering sulfites are present in all wine, South African wine has the lowest amount.
1o. South Africa has the highest commercial bungee jump bridge in the world.